Hey everyone, this is Clark from Self Help Books. And today, let’s take a look at what is loving kindness meditation and how to do it.
Loving Kindness Meditation and Its Benefits
Loving kindness meditation is a way to cultivate our tendency or propensity for kindness. It involves mentally sending goodwill, kindness, and generosity towards others by silently repeating a series of mantras.
Research has shown that people who practiced loving kindness meditation daily for seven weeks reported a steady increase in their experience of positive emotions such as joy, gratitude, satisfaction, hope, and love with their relationships and lives in general. They also reported lower depressive symptoms after.
Loving kindness meditation increases joy and happiness by making people feel more connected to their loved ones, friends, acquaintances and even strangers. They then react more positively to others, and hence their social interactions become more satisfying. This type of meditation also reduces people’s focus on themselves, which leads to lower symptoms of anxiety and depression.
How to Do It
This only takes about 15 minutes – doing it once daily is good enough.
1) Sit comfortably with your feet on the floor and your spine straight. Close your eyes and relax your entire body. Take a deep breath in, and breathe out.
2) Keeping your eyes closed think of a person who loves you very much. It could be someone from the past or the present; someone still alive or has passed. Imagine that person standing on your right side, sending you his/her love. That person is sending you wishes for your safety, health and happiness. Feel the warm wishes and love coming from that person towards you.
3) Now bring to mind the same person or another person who cherishes you deeply. Imagine that person standing on your left, wishing for your well-being, health and happiness. Feel the kindness and warmth coming to you from that person.
4) Imagine you are surrounded on all sides by all the people who love you or have loved you. Picture all of your loved ones and friends surrounding you. They are sending you wishes for your happiness, well-being and health. Bask in the warm wishes and love coming from all sides. You are filled, and overflowing with warmth and love.
5) Bring your awareness back to the person standing on your right side. Begin to send the love that you feel back to that person. Just like you, this person wishes to be happy and to have a good life. Send all your love and warm wishes to that person. Repeat the following phrase three times, silently – “May you live with ease, may you be happy, may you be healthy.”
6) Focus your awareness on the person standing on your left. Begin to direct the love within you to that person. Send all your love and warmth to that person. Repeat the following phrase three times, silently – “Just as I wish to, may you be safe, may you be healthy, may you live with ease and happiness.”
7) Picture another person you love, perhaps a relative or friend. Send warm wishes to that person. Repeat the following phrase three times, silently – “May your life be filled with happiness, health and well-being.”
8) Think of an acquaintance, someone you don’t know very well and toward whom you do not have any particular feeling. It could be a neighbour, a colleague, or someone else that you see around but do not know very well. But like you, this person wishes to experience joy and well-being in his or her life. Send all your wishes for joy and well-being to that person, repeating the following phrase three times, silently – “Just as I wish to, may you also live with ease and happiness.”
9) Bring to mind another acquaintance toward whom you feel neutral. Send all your good wishes to that person, repeating the following phrase three times, silently – “Just as I wish to, may you also live with ease and happiness.”
10) Now picture the whole world in front of you as a little ball. Send warm wishes to all living beings on the planet, who, like you, want to be happy – “Just as I wish to, may you live with ease, happiness and good health.”
11) Take a deep breath in, and breathe out. Take another deep breath in and let it go. Notice the state of your mind and how you feel. When you’re ready, open your eyes.
Share This With Others, Will Ya?
Before I leave you today, there is an awesome audio meditation program that “meditates for you”. It’s called Zen12. And by listening to an audio for 12 minutes – you don’t have to do anything else – you get the benefits of an hour’s advanced meditation. Regular and advanced meditation leads to dozens of health and brain power benefits, including heightened imagination and intuitive insight. You can check it out here (follow the links to get the free Level 1 audio MP3s).
That is all from me. Do share this if you think it’d benefit others! And if you have any questions or comments in regards to this topic let me know in the comment box below and I will get back to you ASAP. Thank you!